Saturday, May 16, 2009

Two thumbs up to Heisei Japanese restaurant in Lafayette, IN- took my son and his girl there for lunch today, and it was awesome! First time for all three of us at a real Japanese restaurant, and we were all impressed not only with the food, but also the presentation and the atmosphere. Heisei is in a strip mall, but once inside you can't tell. There are two sections of raised and carpeted floor for sitting cross-legged (or full-lotus, which both the teenagers could do, but not my old bones) and a center section of standard tables and chairs.

We all got sushi, but I went the extra step and ordered a combo with sashimi (raw, unadorned slivers of fish)- excellent. This was my first sashimi, and I didn't know what to expect. It was not tough, not stringy, and not icky- truly unique and tasty. The slivered ginger root (I ate all three portions) was a nice touch, and the sticky rice wasn't over-vinagered like the cheaper rolls tend to be locally.

Altogether a fine experience, and well worth the hour drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment